East West Opus Edition coming...should we be excited?

I just learned that East West is going to do a huge update of the Hollywood Orchestra range, called Opus edition. I have limited experience with their older libraries, so I want to hear what you think about this update? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Mike
As a beginner composer I have been using the EW libraries on everyday basis for about one year now and to be honest the amount of articulation sets they have on each orchestra section is incredible.I am super excited to find out that a new release is on its way.
I also happen to know that these so called old libraries are still the back bone of some highly profiled professional composers scoring for picture etc.
I am aware of what’s on the market today of course and that you in particular have quite a vast array of libararies at your disposal :slight_smile: which is great but having EW under your finger tips can reveal a lot of hidden precious jams in the articulation world which up to date not a lot of libraries have.
They also blend great with other great sample libraries like Cinematic Studio Strings 2 for example or CineBrass etc.
Even on the percussion side Storm Drum2 is still great to use with all the Dragon Ensemble patches and Dead the Beast for example.
I can only recommend :slight_smile: and super excited about the upcoming release
Thank you for sharing
Piece
Alex

3 Likes

Ah that’s nice to hear Alex, I do believe this can be quite a substantial upgrade to the EW bundle. The main reason people have complained about EW before is that their Play engine have had stability issues for many users. I hope they have sorted that out now.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of EastWest, most probably because they were “THE” sample library when I first got into film scoring (other than Vienna, which nobody could afford), and so I’m just super comfortable using their stuff.

Very excited to see what Opus brings!

3 Likes

People have been frustrated with the play engine in the past but apparently it’s stable now??

I’m keen to hear what @ComposerEverett says after the update. You do still use EW Cloud, right Everett?

2 Likes

There’s an update?

1 Like

I’ll say this: I switched almost completely to Berlin because I just think their instruments sound the best and phrase the best. My mockups sound a lot better since. (Although their violins are ugly in the very high part of their range and I have to switch to BBC for that).

However, Berlin’s soundstage is still too wet for me. (Though not muddy like Air studios thank goodness.) All my carefully composed John Williams-style runs and flourishes (I never use prerecorded because I seldom use entirely standard scales—there’s always something particular or unique to each run) tend to get lost in the wash.

EW Hollywood has the wonderful dry-but-still-lush stage. They could, potentially, win me back if the can match Berlin’s realism and playability with that nice short-decaying stage.

1 Like

Yes, see my link. It is a huge update, basically replacing the entire “Hollywood Orchestra” range from what I understood.

I only hope they will solve the “stability” issues they always seemed to have in their Play engine.

Hey Mike
I have not encountered any problems with the EW play engine what so ever up to this point which is about one year of using it.
To be honest I find it easier to use then Kontakt :slight_smile:
I spoke to the support team about the upgrade and it is coming this fall which will have an upgrade for Gold and Platinum users.Basically everything has been re recorded It sums up to 230 GB of samples :slight_smile:
I think this will be it
I will update you of course once its all out and I have installed it
Thanks

Alex

2 Likes

Hey Alex,
Wow all new recordings? I wonder if they will add articulations too. I hope so. :slight_smile:

1 Like