Drum Trigger sending MIDI Notes?

I would like to have a single drum (not a drum kit) that I can play with sticks or mallets etc. and then trigger a custom MIDI note of my choice, so that I can play my DAW plugins and sample libraries of percussion. I don’t want a MIDI Drum Pad so please don’t suggest that. I want the feeling of playing with sticks and mallets on a fairly big drum skin.

For example performing a drum roll etc. with a real performance. Anyone know how this works, and if something like this is available on the market?

2 Likes

You can buy the individual mesh snare drums from Roland along with the computer, set this up for midi use and you are good to go… though tbh the only difference is the fact you have sticks in your hand… rolls don’t usually work and on faster passages Midi conversion sometimes drops notes.

2 Likes

I researched this heavily the last days, and to my surprise there seem to be no good solution on the market. =/

From our talk about Irish whistles etc. you might have deduced that I am having a strong desire to find more ways to PERFORM my music parts. That’s why I look at Roli Seaboard and all kinds of things. I want that great feeling of performing music! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I got that impression. Just like you I’m of the same mind. In my own creation process I make my own libraries and perform all the phrases that I want so I can put them straight in to the Daw. These unreleased/private libraries are my own personal catalogue of phrases that I use. It’s been the best way I’ve found in terms of performing my own parts in for certain things.

I’ve been looking at midi guitars but they have the same issues that you’ve probably found in the products you’ve looked at. So for me that isn’t an option either. The good news is technology is getting there but to be honest the processing power needed to make these things efficient is just off the charts, I think we will need to go quantum in our computer production before we attain the power we need for those things to be viable. Until then we will need a hige live room full of instruments we can sit at like Brian Tyler :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes