Do you Record your own Sound FX?

Have you ever Recorded your own Sound FX for use in Your Music?
I have done sound design for almost as long as I composed/produced music…20 years or so. But that is with synthesizers and software effects.

I have just started experimenting with the fine art of recording sounds to be used for music as sound design elements, percussive sounds, foley effects etc.

Do you have experience in this field, do share some tips and insights you have learned. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Mikael
sometime i use my vintages synthetiser to create sound fx, i have a korg delta, korg poly800II, JD800 and old sampler that very good for create strange sound
but now i try to use a lot of software that have more possibilities (omnisphere, zebra and a lot of other virtual synth)
with the korg legacy i have the ms20 controller that very great to create very quick sound fx

3 Likes

Ah yes I love how much you can do with software, but I am also intrigued by audio recording of various sounds, for use in my compositions. I feel you can create truly unique sounds and textures by using a portable recording device and go crazy with experimenting recording all kinds of sounds at home or out in nature :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love making fx. Use everything from synths to plugins. Reversing samples - stretching them - just using wet output from plugins and then processing them etc - only problem is it’s a total time drain if you’re not careful

3 Likes

I do too, but I was more specifically asking for “recording audio” meaning for example going into your kitchen and banging on things and using a portable recorder to capture it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Or go into the forest to record the ambience, and then mangle with time stretching and whatever to create sound landscapes. Things like that. :slight_smile:

Recording audio outside of your computer, to use as building blocks for sound design.

2 Likes

Got a couple of battery kits made up from hitting various objects - pans surfaces etc around the home and used some interesting machine noises recorded just on my phone at work and played around with them. Chopping up samples and pitchshifting them can be great for percussive elements.

Have quite a few ambient forest noises recording during summer when out walking - need to do more ambient - would make perfect beds. Could do with one of the zoom recorders - when I was in a band we had one and it was so useful.

3 Likes

Yepp, I have a Zoom H6…the only “sample pack” based on audio recordings I made so far is my “Stomps Collection”…download it if you haven’t got it yet, it’s a nice pack :wink:

But I want to do more! :smiley:

2 Likes