December 32nd - Three Faces of New Year

Genre/Style:
Orchestral / Digital Instrumental

Creative Vision for the Track:
I tried to take a journey from 11:30 PM on December 31st to 3:30 AM on January. For me there are three phases to a New Years Eve / New Years Day celebration:

1. True “celebration” … the energetic, cacophonous sounds of waiting for the new year to arrive
  2. Community … The new year has arrived. What better way to welcome the new year than with “Auld Lang Syne” as a community sing along
  3. Contemplation … By the time the champagne is wearing off and people make their way home there is time to reflect on the promise of the new year, the work that needs to be done, and the challenge of making the most of the gift of a clean slate.

The piece opens with multiple bells and chimes and ends with a solitary church bell chime.

Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc):

Key: Bb

Tempo: Varies by and within each section. In the third phase of the song the harmonic rhythm of the chords (Bb5, Ab/Bb, Bb, C-/Bb5) helps add momentum. Bb5 for three measures, Ab/Bb for two measures, Bb for a single measure before settling in with the C-/Bb5 for a while.

Main Instruments used:
The two main melodic instruments are a Harpejji and a euphonium. Libraries are a mixture of Kontakt, Spitfire BBC.

Here’s wishing you a happy, prosperous, and joyful 2022!

December 32nd – Stan Bann (ASCAP)

1 Like

Stan- a beautiful composition! Love the beginning with the multiple bells and then finishing with the single bell.
You have a great ear for chords; your harmonies on Auld Lang Syne are gorgeous! And the Ab/Bb, and the Bb to C-/Bb5 work so well in this piece!

Love it!
Steven

1 Like

Thanks, Steven! So glad you liked the piece!

I truly love reharmonization. It’s like finding a new bottle for exceptional vintage wine or turning a gem in the sunlight to notice new dimensions and facets I’d otherwise miss. I never want to change it so much that the original gets lost (Sammy Nestico warned about “arrangers’ ego trips” and I agree whole heartedly). If reharmonization enhances or strengthens things, super! If it distracts from or disgraces the original it’s outta there.

Again, I’m glad you enjoyed this and thank you for your kind words!

Stan

Sammy Nestico- someone to listen to!

1 Like

Sammy was a national treasure!