Dealing with Carpal/Cubital Tunnel

Since we spend a lot of time on computers and playing instruments, how may of us have struggled with carpal tunnel or cubital tunnel? If you have, what kinds of things have you done to deal with it?

I’ve recently had this creep up on me, making two of my fingers feel numb or like a funny-bone feeling. I’ve been trying to make sure I’m not bending my elbow too much. But I need to work on making my desk setup better. During the workday, I’m a programmer, so it’s even harder for me to have a time where I can get away from it.

3 Likes

I agree, sitting down so much is a problem. I also have problems already with my elbows from a previous hard labor job I had for 6 years, basically wearing them out. So I really need to think about not bending them too much. I have considered investing in a standing desk to improve my general health.

Taking micro breaks every hour of the day helps. Meaning standing up, do some light stretching, walking around…then go back to work.

3 Likes

sitting down most of the day will not help we all should walk more and try to fit in any physical activity even if a 30 minute walk on a daily basis basically avoid sitting down all day and night. do activities where you’re standing too. even if you have the perfect mouse or chair if you keep repeating the same posture and motions you’re putting stress on these areas so breaking up the patterns of same movements is helpful

3 Likes

I agree Carl, I have been taking daily 30 min walks for the last few years. However, it is still an issue if I sit for the rest of the day. That is why I want to get a standing desk, so I can shift between sitting and standing.

1 Like

that’s right. tina guo the cellist does that too and uses something to kneel on instead of sitting in a hunched position. hope that standing desk works out for your work.

1 Like

If we accept that this issue is reinforced by the use of a mouse, maybe you could try different devices like trackballs or touchpads for not to maintain the same position in your hand for too many ours.

1 Like

Speaking of cello, I should probably make a habit of taking a break for some cello or violin practice, rather than sitting in front of the computer all day, and then have a long late night practice session. I already have the instruments easily accessible for that reason, but just don’t seem to get around to it - which seems to be a pretty common problem with these sort of activities…

2 Likes

Well… guess what xD this is what I do during the day:

• follow online courses = Sit in front of Pc.
  • draw pixel art assets for games = sit in front of the pc. Heavy mouse usage.
  • game design = sitting in front of pc writing at the keyboard.
  • coding = sitting in front of pc writing at the keyboard.
  • music compositiong = sitting in front of pc making music either with mouse or midi keyboard.

I think I’m doomed for the future xD

Anyway… I do like the idea of a standing desk like Mike said… but I can’t efford it right now so it’ll have to wait :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The “stand up” every 1hr and stretch for a bit really helps a lot for me at least. And I go for a daily 30 min walk or run, which helps even more. I also start every day with a stretching routine to warm up joints and muscles, before I eat breakfast. So yes, I try to take care of my health more now. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to save enough to be able and buy myself a little field recorde3r. I think having the chance of going out to record soundscapes for games… or sounds to put into a synth or sampler etc would probably make it more “worthwhile” the simple act of “going out” cause I’d probably manage to “trick” my mind into believing it actually is useful for work :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes