"Daydreamin' At Midnight" - A Somnambulant Sojourn

Genre/Style:
Reflective

Creative Vision for the Track:
The full title of this piece is “Daydreamin’ At Midnight”.

Sleep patterns are one of the under documented victims in this pandemic. I’ve spent many a night laying awake wondering what’s going to happen next, if my kids are okay, mulling over a decision I had to make regarding whether I would return to classroom teaching and what that would mean, etc.

Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc):
I specifically wrote and overlaid foreground and background themes in 3/4 and 4/4 meters. It was an attempt to blur bar lines. In the middle of the night time seems to morph all over the place. There are times the 3/4 pattern is clear just as there are times during the night when one is more awake than others.

I left many of the background arpeggios and pads aleatoric. There are times this led to those “things that go bump in the night”. Had my share of those these past few weeks, too.

Main Instruments used:
Melody: Bass Flutes, low strings
Pads: Bass Flutes, Bass Clarinet, Low Strings
Arpeggios: Harp, Synth

The final section where I used bass flutes, bass clarinets, and string bass is not playable in a live setting due to the lack of projection and the long, sustained notes in the bass flutes. Perhaps with a twelve piece bass flute section you could stagger the breathing … but I would consider that sound to be squarely in the digital realm.

Daydreaming’ - Stan Bann

2 Likes

Well done. sounds scary and mysterious, this would make a great score.

1 Like

Thanks, Carl! Glad you liked it!

Yes, it was sort of a programmatic piece. Slightly disoriented, wandering through a dark house in the middle of the night. Just stay out of the basement and away from guys wearing hockey goalie masks!

Take care! Stay well! Stay in touch!

Stan

Hypnotic. :clap::clap::clap::clap: I love it

1 Like

Thanks, Vincente! Glad you enjoyed it! Hope all is well with you!

Take care! Stay well!

Stan