Could this be the New Best Choir Library? (Dominus Choir Pro)

What are your thoughts on Dominus Choir Pro?

I just saw this teaser/quick overview video of Dominus Choir Pro, and wow…it seems to not only sound amazing, but have all the main choir features I need in one single product. Sustains, Marcatos, Staccatos…and a phrasebuilder that seems both quick and intuitive and full of syllables! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Wow, this is so good to know! So far I only tried EW Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs, but I had to find a workaround with the phrase builder because of some vowels and consonants that combined together didn’t seem to be pronounced natural in the language written.
So I basically changed the lyrics and it worked quite ok.

2 Likes

My favorite (only option, really) for actual lyrics so far is EW Hollywood Choirs, which has a piano roll sequencer with automation curves to go with the phonetic editor. The main problem with it is that it takes a lot of work to get good results, so I haven’t actually used it much, so far…

This one looks like it might be a viable option when you don’t need every last detail (can’t be heard through a full orchestra anyway), apart from sounding amazing in general. It looks like it’s still missing some syllables, and there seem to be no consonants, but it should be close enough for most situations.

2 Likes

Honestly I only want good syllable variation, and super quick and easy phrasebuilding. If we talk about “what” the choir sing.

For me the articulations, playability, and dynamic range + expressive quality are the main things here.

PS. I tried EW hollywood choirs. Sound is great, dynamic range is incredible, wordbuilding is boooooring. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would not worry about what they sing Fabiana. Personally if I wanted real words I would look for a real choir. I always use latin or slavonic nonsense phrases, as do practically all cinematic and epic music using choirs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh thanks, I came to a point to think: ok like this and that’s it, and I just tried to blend them a bit back in the mix.

1 Like

oceania by performance samples is a great choir. Ive tried a few different ones and the phrases in that are great, especially for trailers etc. very smooth transitions. Only 8 phrases but you don’t really need more.It has legato which is smooth as well. its on sale atm for 79$ instead of $400 i beleive so well worth getting. Will also check out this new one to see what its like, spitfires EW choir is great for everything except phrase builder so will see how this one pans out on that front.

4 Likes

Well, I kind of like tinkering with the Hollywood wordbuilder once I get started. It’s a bit like synth programming, and it sounds eerily life-like when you get it right!

But, there is this other details: You need actual lyrics. Haven’t written any in decades, and that’s also a major reason why I haven’t taken up singing again. Yet. :smiley: (We’ll see with this NaSoAlMo album I’m working on… I’m finally trying to write some actual EDM again, and I suppose vocals will be needed for at least some tracks.)

2 Likes

I actually prefer latin for choirs, or elvish. I would love to be able to do choirs like the bridge of khazad dum in LOTR. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

+1 for oceania i freaking love that choir :slight_smile: also choir from strezov sampling are among my favorites one!

Hello Muluku, I have StormChoir 2, it’s amazing too! But only staccatos, no long sustains in it. But the multiple microphone options + “stack mode” are great! :slight_smile:

I plan the get Oceania eventually too as it seems great for epic choirs.

Dominus Pro seems more like “big cinematic” with emotion. Not as “epic action” as Oceania and StormChoir.

About strezov choir, i’m talking about wotan and freyjta ! i didn’t use stormchoir yet ! may be the v3 ^^ let’s see what’s coming with the v3 ^^

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I don’t have those, they are more “LOTR”-type? I am looking for a choir that can sound like the bridge of khazad dum in LOTR, mines of Moria. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Those choir can do both epic and soft ! and the syllable builder is pretty amazing ! you can even create new syllables by morphing some existant one !

1 Like

I think I saw a video on Wotan which told the basses went reeeeally deep, like they perhaps can do those low action choirs like the ones I am talking about in LOTR (first movie).

1 Like

Yeah i think also! there is even a dadicated patch for bass !

1 Like

Do you have an example on SoundCloud or anything of something you composed using Wotan and/or Freya?

in this one i’m using both :

in this one only freyja it was for demo purpose :

https://soundcloud.com/muluku-souleymane/choir

2 Likes

Wow, beautiful composition Muluku! :smiley:
The lead is amazing, and the dynamics and space leaves so much room for that choir to breath!

I know you did not ask for feedback, but…one little minor thing I feel the string lead gets just a touch too loud on the highest points compared to the rest. But this was an excellent composition full of emotion! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks ! feedback are always welcome ^^ ! as i said early, i’m a newbie still a lot of things to learn mostly mixing and mastering ! i will fix that ! thanks

1 Like