Main Instruments used:
Concert Band plus Announcer
Creative Vision for the Track:
Used as the first piece of each of the Medalist Concert Band’s summer concerts it’s purpose is to introduce the band, the guest / featured artists for the evening, and the conductor. The conductor takes the podium during the timpani roll and directs the band through to the end of the piece. The piece segues into another timpani roll which starts the playing of the national anthem.
The band used a different piece for the majority of it’s fifty years of existence. This piece was a new introductory piece to celebrate the band’s 50th Anniversary and to be used for subsequent summer concert series.
I chose to quote “In The Good Old Summertime” as this is for the summer concert series.
Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc):
- The piece starts with a concerted rhythm with percussion and tubas. This was pragmatic since those instruments sit in close proximity to each other. Since the band starts without a conductor (it’s counted off by the percussion) I wanted the tempo and rhythm to lock in immediately without any lag between count off and entrance.
- Note that the same rhythm is repeated over the first few bars to reinforce tempo and lock the full band in place.
- Places for the announcements were marked on the parts so band members knew when to duck under the speaker. They were also marked on the parts. I worked to keep motion to a minimum under the voice over.
- I provided the voice over for the attached video. My wife is the regular announcer for the group.
- There is a long, sustained chord before the conductor’s introduction. This varied week to week as we featured different sections, artists, and guest conductors. All other parts of the script (the ones I intoned) were the same concert to concert.
I am the principal trombonist for the Medalist Concert Band.
The attached link is a video of the full concert band score along with the mockup.