Building Your Personalised Composers CV/Application

Ive been in the process of Updating my Cv Documents. So I thought I’d share some of the things that I’ve done in preparation for applying for more industry jobs, so that others can start to apply too.

1. Whats Included in a CV?
  • Title - Your Name.

• Sub title - your address.

• Paragraph 1 - Personal Profile

• Paragraph/section 2 - key Skills

• Paragraph 3 - Work history (if applicable)

• Paragrah 4 - additional experience (go to town on this section.

• Additional links

• Education

• Referees

1. Cover letter.

Generally, this is where you introduce yourself briefly and say why you are interested in the role. This shouldn’t include anything that you’ve included in your CV. Aim for 3/4 short paragraphs set out in the letter format.

1. Showreel.

This can be as simple as a link to a private Soundcloud playlist titled “showreel” Or, if you are a film composer you might want to edit some of your cues together into one film between 2 and 3 minutes long with transitions between cues.

I hope this was useful for all of you awesome composers. I’m looking forward to hearing what you include in your Applications!

3 Likes

I think it’s super important to NOT write that you can compose EVERYTHING.
I see it all the time and it’s the biggest mistake in my opinion.

Composers are not chosen for a project because they can compose anything possible. They are chosen because they can do certain genres really well.

For example I would never tell people that I can compose an opera for them. Why? Because I can’t.

The portfolio will always show the strengths and weaknesses if the client has an overall idea about music. And most of them ask you if they need a certain genre.

When I am asked to compose a specific type, I can objectively see if I can or can’t do or if the time is just too tight to do. It’s better to tell the client to license a specific genre instead of trying to mimic something you have no experience at. The result will be obvious.

With time people will know what is possible with you and what not. There is a reason why some films have more than one composer.

Kind regards,
Alexey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a great point Alexy !

I think rather than just that, it’s probably just “don’t lie about your limitations. For instance, I’m classically trained and have an extensive knowledge of sound design because I also studied music tech. So for me I can write in pretty much every genre providing i have a reference track/tracks to base my composition on… that’s not where I fall short… however, I can’t rap for toffee (British colloquialism sorry), so backing and main vocals I can do all of that, but i would never say I can do a rap song.

Having said that, I wouldn’t dream of going for a job if I didn’t have a track to show in that genre, or related to that genre… it’s just not going to get me the job if I don’t have anything to show for it.

Plus, as you rightly stated. Publishers and producers will ascociated you with what they deem your best at… and sometimes that means having more than one composer. I think this is why Hans Zimmer is so iconic… he has a huge team who also wrote for him for internships so his writing can be phenomenally varied, while also having that signature zimmer feel. It means he can literally turn his hand to everything… but in reality that’s because he doesn’t just rely on himself, he has people around him filling in for his shortcomings. Publishers know this and play to his advantage.

Being honest about limitations is super important, so I really like and admire this comment. Fantastic point!

3 Likes

Yeah, absolutely!

Great you have mentioned Hans. He is the best example for that! In the 80s, he was just Hans. As you and me and all other composers who sit most likely alone in the studio. However, today Hans Zimmer is a big company where other composers are working for him and each of them has a sound designer who is working for creating new sounds. It’s crazy but it shows how powerful and successful he became.

Back to my point: The same I don’t do for mixing services. I have never mixed metal, so why on earth should I risk my reputation by telling someone that I am mixing engineer who can mix any genre? I see it everywhere. It’s stupid and irresponsible.

First, I would just blame myself, and second, it just shows that I want to earn quick money. It doesn’t mean that I can’t learn it. I can. But first I need to prove it. And even for mixing: You need to mix 100s of metal songs in order to understand what is going on in that specific genre.

It’s an art form in itself. And literally 90% of the new engineers think, only because they can push a couple of faders up and down, and switch on the compressor understand how to mix a genre they have never mixed before.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly. Metal I a really great example too with mixing. As you well know, it’s the same with trailer music. I started off mixing and writing singer songwriter/indie tracks many years ago. I got really good at it. But it took a few years of writing and mixing railed music to really get good at it. I remember being confused because I had never mixed with samples before so I didn’t realise they’re already processed audio. Every genre is a learning curve isn’t it! Metal is similar as it’s mixed quite dark.

Hans was the best one I could think of tbh. There are others but they don’t come under one persons name. He’s basically just named his business after himself hasn’t he, but it really helps to make the comparison easier to see.

This is turning into a great thread!

3 Likes