Best Music Styles for getting Your Music Licensed?

What are the best Music Styles for Music Licensing?

In your experience, or from research, which genres/styles/moods of music would you say have the highest chance of getting you sync placements and licensing deals?

PS. I am not talking about low paying royalty free stock libraries like Pond5 and Audiojungle, where we all know the cheesy corporate happy music works best. I am talking about “real” music libraries that will get your placements that earns you performance royalties.

1 Like

Year to date: Info from AudioSparx

1. Dramatic Music 27%
  2. World Music 16%
  3. Corporate 10%
  4. Everything else like pop, hiphop, new age etc.

One the one hand, it’s clever to focus on the drama, because it’s used super often, on the other hand it’s clever to pic a low % genre and make insane tracks, so you will stick out from the mass…but at the end of the day, if you do amazing tracks, your clients will come back to you, because they don’t need time to look for anything else, as they have approved your work.

2 Likes

Very interesting, btw…dramatic music is a very wide range. I wonder how they define it? Did they go into details?

I think “energy” is a big keyword to focus on for production music, do you agree?

1 Like

I’ve forgot to mention that I hear a lot like we need “custom sound” / “signature sound” often. I think this is what a composer needs to think about as well, like a EDM-Producer. What do you do in your music, that people can immediately recognise you? Is it a sound, a theme/melody, or the sick bass…can be anything really.

1 Like

Here is the more detail-list @Mikael :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Signature sound, isn’t that basically the good old fashioned “hook”? :slight_smile:

Oh perfect breakdown in percentages I like that. Even though I am not sure how you can sub divide dramatic music…into once more “dramatic music” as it was the overall style lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Well hook is actually the main refrain, so the main theme or can be even a motif, but most likely the part where all comes together. I mean with signature sound, that you for example you use quiet a lot of the same sound-patches in your music throughout. So when people here them again, they know it’s you. It’s quiet difficult to achieve with trailer music for example, because everyone is using the same braaaaams, and impacts and so forth. But you don’t have to. You can use a braaamm, but this one needs to big like anything you´ve heard before.

2 Likes

Yeah I see, basically be unique, develop your own sound right? I think making some element or sound design, even a single one that is truly unique for every track can be a nice way to stand out in the competition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes