Beneath the Tidal flow

Beneath the Tidal flow

Hopefully this youtube link works

Nothing like making a task harder I thought I would make a ambient track from a sample of two notes from a kalimba ( you can download the original recording here endlessinbetween.co.uk/kalimbasample.wav )
So I wanting to give some sort of story to track so its based on starting at the surface of the ocean so its bright at first but with the hint of the depths below and slowly traveling down to the sea bed. So track gets darker as you travel further down.

I used a lot of time stretching ( pauls timestretch - free app that allows you to do really long time stretching). I dropped the sample and the time stretched versions in to a few wavetable synths - Alchemy, pigments, Serum etc. and played around with these. I didn’t use any other wavetables or oscilators. I also used a few audio FX - Trantra, Soundtoys stuff, Vallhala shimmer to name a few.

Any feedback always welcome.

Link to wav file of the track here

2 Likes

Heads up, you set the youtube video to private on your youtube channel, which means no one can watch it but yourself. You need to change it unlisted or public in your video settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for heads up - thought I’d set it to unlisted but obviously not :astonished: - hopefully work now -

Yepp works now…man I love the deep sea atmoshere in this piece. :slight_smile:
I heard about pauls timestretch, I wish there was a plugin like that for Logic. I think pauls timestretch is only external software, right?

There’s a plugin but bit temperamental but does work here

Used it in this track to make a drone - think the original sample was stretched to about 4 hours

1 Like

hello
great composition
you have describe a great atmosphere with your track and used sounds
great job

2 Likes

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in me doing a sound design/production video on how I made the sounds for this track. If I get time I’ll try and post something up if people are interested.

1 Like

Donot feel bad Phil I done that before then I learn select unlisted

Wow !!! That real cool !!! Love the ocean so peaceful Phil
At the very beginning that sound that comes in before the letter move in is that you recording and playing with a drum symbol that added ?

Oh yeah please do, there is a section in the forum called “Educational Content” which is all about members sharing tutorial videos, articles/blog posts etc. It’s a sub section of “Content for Composers”. If you make any educational video, post it there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No - intro was music I did for a trailer competition a while back - think the hits were mainly from Spitfire Albion and a few other free samples.

1 Like

Yes that would be very cool
showing us Your process and thinking:+1:

I am still learning this forum Thanks Mike for sharing that I did not even know that existed
cool!!! like a online video library

1 Like