Adaptive Music for Video Games - How does it work?

That makes sense; I might experiment with a stinger-intro, so I don’t have to do more of the “play head” approach @medhathanbali is suggesting (which was more what we’re leaning toward, currently).

I don’t know your game, but another tip that could be useful:
If you can often loose, i would recommend writing 3 versions/variations of the intro that every time you start over again, a different one would randomly play before going to the main section to make the experience less repetitive.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s a great thought :+1:

Tom @tk_tmm, now I am going to show both my age and my nerd level (hint: it’s high). When I was around 14, back in 1995, Warcraft II was released. And I was a computer nerd boy then, so me and a good friend with similar geek level realised that all sounds were actually open and raw wav-files (or some open format). We re-did the entire voice over for all characters of Warcraft II. Then made other friends play “our game” LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hahaha that’s awesome

Yeah…well…some days I have not grown up from that geeky 14-year old boy. Got to stay young at least in spirit, right!? :wink:

That was a huge revelation I had at some point a while ago… when you get older, you’re still the same person. You’ve just learned more, gained more perspective, had more experiences… etc.

1 Like

The real kicking off point for Video Game music taking itself and being taken more seriously was in 1994.

Super Metroid used music atmospherically instead in terms of immersion and if you listen to Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6 (The Black Mages live performance there of also recommended,) this was where video game makers said “we see your movie music - and fart in it’s general direction.” Paraphrasing of course, but you get the picture. Not long before this Spielberg said “Video Games will never be art - because nobody cried in Stage-5 of a video game.” It was after this that grand orchestral scores became more and more used, then the advent of CD games allowing more & better audio, real or realistic instruments started being used and have evolved ever since.

Around the mid to late 2000’s the art of making stand alone music tracks began being phased out in favour of more subtle & atmospheric music that is beautiful, memorable but also unnoticeable enough to not drive gamers insane after 10 hours of playing. This was the period where everything sounded orchestral… but wasn’t memorable at all for the most part as companies still had restrictive budgets or were using composers who didn’t quite understand how to hit the sweet spot between being atmospheric and simply being dull - there was mountains of very generic music in this period.

In more recent times as the art has been perfected, they’ve been able to make distinct and memorable music that is also not overbearing and it’s become quite a complex and fascinating type of composing - in layers that change in reaction to events without sounding broken.

That said - there is a distinct void in the world for the age of 8-bit & 16-bit music where some of the best stand alone tunes have ever come from. Chiptune is all fine and good, but most people go WAY over board with it.

1 Like

I find it really interesting to hear about how the music has evolved over time. I agree with you that there’s a certain charm to the 8-bit and 16-bit music that just can’t be replicated with more modern technology.
By the way, sorry to jump in on an old thread, but I just stumbled across it while I was browsing for some game-related discussions. I don’t have a lot of time to play games these days, so I usually just stick to playing on my phone. Recently, I’ve been getting into mobile games that let you win real money, and I actually came across a cool one called Solitaire Cash. I found a review of it at https://joywallet.com/article/solitaire-cash-review/ that you might find interesting.