Adagio, from Symphony #9 for the Virtual Orchestra

This is the slow movement from my 9th symphony for virtual instruments, from the album Virtual Harmonics .

This music employs the Vienna Symphonic Library Symphonic Cube and Requiem Professional libraries.

PLAY

Enjoy!

Jerry

1 Like

FYI - I tried to play it, but nothing happens when pressing play. Apologies if itā€™s just on my side.

You have to press the little Play button inside the Player on the page that opens with that link.

Some really beautiful and impressive parts in this piece.

Was lovely to hear the real voices, and they blended beautifully.

I think a bit more reverb would have helped the vstā€™s sound less ā€˜virtualā€™, but really I would like to hear the whole piece with a better virtual library. TBH the sounds are still pretty plasticy, synthy. Youā€™ve done amazingly well considering the quality of the sounds. I just think it could sound so much better.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for listening and commenting. Though my intention is definitely not to fool people into thinking this is a recording of a live ensemble, apparently you were fooled into thinking the voices were real! They are not, they are from the library Requiem Pro.

I definitely understand that everyone hears things in their own way. I myself am happy with the quality of the Vienna Symphonic Library Symphonic Cube and will be using it for the remainder of my life.

Best,
Jerry

Wow! Yes, I fell for the voices!! They did sound real - perhaps just in comparison to the virtual instruments lol!

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi Mark and thanks for the tip; that is what I did at the time, but it didnā€™t work. I tried it today and it did work, so I may have had a javascript disabler active at the time or something, thanks again!

Jerry; great work! I would tend to agree with Mark that it would be interesting to hear it with a less ā€œsynthyā€ instrument group, but the composition itself is wonderful and if the existing sounds are best for the intended vision, all is good! The voices were amazing as well!

Dear Mark & Ameer,

I appreciate you taking the time to listen, I really do, but I just donā€™t agree about the sound of the library. I also think itā€™s a fools game to compare a recording made with samples, no matter how good the samples are, with a live ensemble or even a recording of a live ensemble. Iā€™ve talked about this in numerous articles and interviews Iā€™ve done for music magazines.

We all have different sensibilities and tastes when it comes to not only music itself, but sample libraries. For me VSL is one of the very best (and largest) libraries on the market and thatā€™s good enough for me. I can easily afford to buy every library out there, but what I canā€™t afford is the time Iā€™d have to spend learning and configuring each one. Thatā€™s time away from composition and production. Iā€™m no longer doing soundtrack work so I donā€™t need to own every director or producerā€™s favorite library.

To be honest, I am not seeking critique of my work online. I assume both of you have the best of intentions but I post to share my music, and my hope is that others find the meaning and beauty I know I put there. 95% of the critiques I get online are useless to me, as though I havenā€™t thought of it myself and rejected it with my own experimentation. I sometimes spend up to two years on a symphony and when I consider it done, I post it for others to hear.

My advice is to spend your time and energy making your own music the very best that it can be. Thatā€™s what I do. Forget about nit-picking the imperfections and flaws in anotherā€™s work, take that time and energy and use it to improve your own. Youā€™ll go further in your musical efforts that way. Not that I think my compositions and recordings are perfect or without flaws, I donā€™t think that. But hearing stuff like how much reverb I should use or not use makes no sense to me because I have already determined through listening, comparing and experimenting exactly how much reverb and what kind of space I want.

Iā€™m not trying to create hit records here, I mean, how many people even listen to modern symphonies? Not many. Instead, I am following my own path and since I donā€™t need to conform to the fickle marketplace I donā€™t bother with that.

I wish you both the very best,
Jerry

Thank you, Jerry, for this very moving music. It is subtle in parts and at the same time, deeply expressive. You have a unique talent in creating power without overpoweringā€” beautiful work!

Thanks for the kind comments and for taking the time to listen Doriā€¦

Thanks for your reply! You do beautiful work!

Jerry- just finished listening to the Adagio. Wow. My favorite thing Iā€™ve heard from you. There is so much beauty within the textures, densities, colors, progressions, and melody. Great expression throughout!

Thanks for sharing,
Steven

Thanks Steve!

Sorry for the tardy reply, I am barely checking forums these days, am immersed in studying astrophotography!

Best,
Jerry

Hi Steve!

Thanks for listening! Could you tell me which adagio you listened to? I have two posted, one from symphony #9 and the other, more recent one, from symphony #12. The adagio from symphony #12 is my favoriteā€¦

Best,
Jerry

Shooting for the stars- nice! :^)

It was the adagio from the 9th. But now youā€™ve got me wanting to listen to the adagio from the 12th! Have you already posted a link to it here?

Steven

Hi Steve,

Yes, the link is also here, which includes the text:
https://www.jerrygerber.com/symph12mvt3.htm

The 4th movement, which is moderately fast and highly syncopated, is here:
https://www.jerrygerber.com/symph12mvt4.htm

Iā€™m taking a break from composing (after 50 years of doing nothing else!) in order to learn astrophotography, so the 12th will probably be my last symphony, maybe forever or maybe for a while, not sure yet.