Action Contest - NIGHT IN FINLAND | Mistral unizion

Dark and ominous start really pulls you in, the synth is fantastic, breaking into the arp and then back to the obstinate. The bass guitar kicks in perfectly, the return of the synth works so well. Yes, great track.

1 Like

This is what overcoming 2020 sounds like. Only thing maybe is trying some different eq for percussion and maybe heavier percussion sounds. Great work!

1 Like

Very modern sound with the synths love it!

1 Like

Hey Alexis, thanks so much!

Hi Carl, haha yeah overcomming 2020 is something, indeed! :grin: Thanks a lot for your feedback!

For the percussion, honnestly I never heard a stronger sounding drum kit out of the box. I tought that their precedent drum sound, Boutique Drums Medusa was already very powerful, which it is, but more cinematic than this one, a bit more reverb in it.
But when I compared both side by side, that snare is so loud and fierce it is incredible. Love it! :grin: The toms and kick are striking too.
Maybe in my mix it sounds a bit buried or surrounded by the other sounds that are mixed too loud…but if I raise the volume of the drums more it would peak in the red… I don’t know how to make it sound louder. I did try some EQ or reverb I think, but I removed it (reverb) to let it punch through more that way. Did not liked the sound of it being pushed back.
To my ears it was ok like it is but there is always room for improvement of course.

Only thing I could have done is layer it with huge cinematic drums maybe, but I wanted this track to be kind of a demo track for this very drum kit, so I could not layer it in this regards.

Thanks again, really appreciated! :smiley:

Cliff,
That is a great description! Thanks a lot! Totally spot on.

I felt like the chorus needed to get back one last time at the end (It is kind of the “pop” side of it I guess) after a pause in the middle, using the bass guitar, which is too much buried or not given enough room in most rock or metal bands (Old Metallica for example). When I hear a band letting sound their bass like that I always love it, so that is what I did. Nice to be in control for those choices, haha.

At same time I wish the track would have been longer…

So I am thinking of adding my own guitar solo just after the bass part to give it more realistic sound. No library can play it like I hear it in my head, or at least it would take 10 times more time to program the midi, haha.

I struggle to play it perfectly each time but when I will nail it, I will make a version 2 of it!

Thanks again, I am surprised my how much entousiasm this track gets! I feared most other would think it is off topic in regards to the typical orchestral action cue. But I tried it anyways in this contest.

Have a good one!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really enjoyed this composition. I have downloaded the free Zebralette synth and also subscibed to Mikael’s “How to Write Cinematic Percussion”

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your comment!

A nice Synth this Zebralette! Free is always good but this one actually sounds very good.

Interesting electronic metal piece. All well joined. Good job.

Thanks Vicente!

1 Like